Greetings, readers and writers! I’m in a buoyant mood because after about a month of planning, ordering things, installing things, and glueing things, my home audiobook recording setup is complete.
If you missed the first two posts documenting my progress, they are here:
At the end of the article you will find a list of all the equipment used, with costings.
Since publishing Part 2, I ordered some felt because I wanted to cover the table with a material that would be comfortable and sound absorbing, and would also look better than the naked camping table top. I went for a dark green colour, because I thought in the future that colour would work well for a gaming table, should I ever need one.
To attach the felt I had to be very accurate, because the width of the felt roll was exactly the same width as the table, so there was no room for error.
I used the same spray glue which I had used to attach the soundproofing panels to attach the felt to the table. I had to spray both surfaces, then wait for a couple of minutes, and then carefully position the felt onto the table top.
I was very happy with how it turned out. There is an overlap of a few millimeters in some places, but it’s very slight and is preferable to the fabric being too short, so I was happy to leave it.
With the felted table installed, here’s how the setup looked:
I added in the recording equipment and so the setup was almost complete.
I didn’t like the mess of cables underneath the table, so I searched on Amazon for a cable storage box which would fit. Fortunately, I found one that was the perfect size and a nice black to complement the soundproofing panels, headphones, etc.
And with that installed, the very last thing to do was attach the cable that was bringing in power from the bedroom to the skirting board.
And with that, the setup was complete!
So, below are a few pictures of the finished setup.
As I mentioned in Part 1, I wanted to leave the clothes hanging on the clothes rail to assist with sound absorption. With the doors closed, it’s pretty cosy, but there is enough room to move about a little.
In case anyone is wondering what’s on top of the blue audio interface, that’s just a coaster for the big glass of water which will be an essential accompaniment to the recording process!
And when the wardrobe is closed, you would never know…
That’s a wrap!
I hope you’ve enjoyed watching the setup process unfold. I’ve certainly had a lot of fun doing it. The next step will be to test everything in the space is working properly, and then prepare to do some trial runs recording myself reading one of my books.
I have decided which Digital Audio Workstation (that’s the software) I’m going to be using to record the audio, but I will need to spend some time getting to grips with the software and also learning the intricacies of audiobook recording and editing. I will also need to ensure my vocal chords are in good shape (I’ve been singing quite a lot recently, and exercising nearly every day, so fingers crossed!) and that my narrative style sounds reasonably good.
List of Expenses
For anyone who’s interested, here are the costs that were involved with the equipment I purchased for the project. Prices are in GBP and USD.
12 x Bewave acoustic soundproofing panels — £18.99 / $23.61
8 x Premium acoustic panels (Making Waves Audio) — £22.49 / $27.96
Outsunny collapsible camping table — £21.99 / $27.34
MECO deluxe padded steel fabric folding chair — £30.42 / $37.82
Rode NT1-A condenser microphone bundle — £140.60 / $174.78
(includes mic, shock mount cradle, XLR cable, and pop shield)
AKG K52 closed back wired headphones — £32.00 / $39.78
Presonus iOne audio interface — £74.00 / $91.99
TaoTronics LED desk lamp — £19.99 / $24.85
PIFCO PIF2069 4-Gang cassette reel, black, 5m — £10.09 / $12.54
HULAMEDA door draft excluder strip — £6.99 / $8.69
AmazonBasics AB3801-SV-2 door handles — £6.49 / $8.07
Everbuild S2CONADH adhesive spray — £6.01 / $7.47
ORICO cable organiser / storage box — £10.99 / $13.66
Playbox dark green felt roll — £11.99 / $14.90
Samson MD5 tabletop mic stand — £16.33 / $20.26
TOTAL: £429.37 / $532.71
(excludes the cost of my MacBook Pro and DAW software, and a couple of cables I already had)
If you consider it normally costs over £1000 to professionally produce a single audiobook, and that I am planning to record at least three audiobooks, it should be clear that one can save a considerable amount of money with a DIY setup.
If you’d like to leave any questions or thoughts, feel free to comment below. And just a reminder that you’re welcome to check out my two earlier posts documenting the setup process:
This has been something of an experiment, and I can’t guarantee everything that I’ve used in my setup would work well for your setup, so please use my posts as inspiration, rather than as prescription, if you understand my meaning 😊
Thank you for reading!